This land, Ryne, is shaped by the Remnants. Towering creatures as tall as mountains and as long as valleys, they build-are built from-the very fabric of the world. We are the people who live tangled in their threads, who grow in the patchwork they’ve shaped. We have built our homes and communities, we’ve learnt how to survive and travel in the strange landscapes that they’ve created. We adapt as their territories shift around us. We live in the shadows of indifferent gods.
Welcome to Ryne, an upcoming wild fantasy roleplaying game about people building communities in the footsteps of titans. It’s a Powered by the Apocalypse game of thoughtful, collaborative fantasy, focusing on the lives people create in a world both bigger and stranger than them.
Ryne pushes the form of pbta play to the complicated, human side of what it means to make a space in a fraying world, under the shadow of the unknowable. The game is highly collaborative, flexible, and allows for narrative driven character advancements that support long term play and in-fiction development.
The full rulebook for Ryne will be crowdfunding in mid 2022.
The World of Ryne
Remnants, our word for the titans, are the broken husks of gods. Each of them is tied to a domain, a set of concepts that it represents. The environment around each is shaped in their image – the mist-sheathed swamps of a Remnant of longing, the singing jungles of a Remnant of jubilance.
Ryne contains a range of tools for imagining Remnants and the landscapes that they create. Players imagine their own version of this patchwork world, filling it with fantastical wildlife, unbelievable geography and the indifferent titans that carve its horizons.
- 10 rolebooks, including: the Fledgling, a teenager finding their way in the world; the Heart, an artist, leader or revolutionary who embodies a concept; the Tethered, a spirit at home in their new form.
- 4 story seeds, worldbuilding prompts that shape your game: a caravan fleeing a destructive force, a community facing change, scholars trading the secrets of the Remnants, pilgrims on a long and difficult journey.
- Roll with emotions. Your character’s mood influences how things go for them; and as they change and grow, so do the emotions on their sheet.
- Emotion is at the heart of everything. Geographical features, communities and landscapes have moods. The GM uses emotions to define NPCs, the remnants and their supernatural servants.
- A unique setting for you to make your own. The book blends details and examples from the world, with tools for creating territories, remnants, communities, threats and seasons.
- Geared for long-term advancement, based around change, growth and in-fiction milestones.
As a teaser and a test for the full rulebook, we’ve released a free playkit showing you what Ryne is like to play. The playkit includes:
- All the core rules needed to play Ryne
- Four rolebooks (The Guide, The Heart, The Tethered and The Weaver)
- A quick-start scenario (Vacant Tribute) and a story seed (The Change)
- Character sheets and territory sheets to track play
Ryne was so awesome I dared to play it with my parents — and they enjoyed it!
Ryne is a beautiful system that brings deep emotional impact and adventure to the table. Play testing with my friends has made me feel closer and like I know them better through the colorful stories and characters we’ve made.